Why Donate to Legal Aid of Western Michigan?
Legal Aid is a high-dividend investment for foundations and individual donors who support justice, equity, and stable communities in West Michigan. Since there is no right to a lawyer in civil cases, we stand up for domestic violence survivors, seniors, families facing homelessness, and many other vulnerable West Michiganders when they have nowhere left to turn. We ensure that even people who do not have money still do have meaningful access to our justice system. It’s about fairness.
Your donation doesn’t just help individual clients. Keeping people in safe, stable homes allows neighborhoods to stabilize and flourish. Helping people access healthcare, or expunge very old criminal records, helps them get good jobs and grow our economy. With your support:
- We close about 10,000 cases every year, serving people with legal problems that impact basic living needs and threaten livelihoods.
- We present community education events, produce materials explaining the law, and partner with West Michigan nonprofits, libraries, healthcare providers, and others to reach underserved West Michigan populations.
- Our pro bono volunteers take 150-225 case referrals annually, and they staff one-day legal clinics in client communities.
Our promise to donors: your generosity will protect rights, strengthen communities, and change lives.
How to Give
- Donate directly today!
- Amazon Smile. Designate Legal Aid of Western Michigan as your Smile recipient, and when you shop Amazon will donate 0.5% of your purchase amounts to Legal Aid. It’s a win-win!
- Interested in a stock donation, legacy/bequest giving, or another arrangement? Contact Steve Grumm, Director of Community Engagement, to explore options: email@example.com or 616-608-8061.
Legal Aid of Western Michigan (LAWM) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Donations are tax-deductible and are used in delivering legal help right here in West Michigan. Private donations are our third largest funding source and an integral part of our day-to-day operations.
LAWM participates in the Access to Justice Campaign to increase resources for civil legal aid for low-income households in Michigan. The Campaign is a partnership of the State Bar Foundation and Michigan’s civil legal aid programs. Tax-deductible contributions to the ATJ Fund are received and administered by the Michigan State Bar Foundation according to the Fund Guidelines located at www.atjfund.org.
As a Legal Services Corporation (LSC) grantee, we are required to notify all funding sources, including private donors, that we will not engage in activities prohibited by the LSC Act or Public Law 104-134 ‘504. If you have any questions about these prohibitions, please feel free to contact Pamela Hoekwater at 616-774-0672 (ext 128).